TEN-T corridors touch both Hungary and Serbia, but there is a zone of approximately 400km between Budapest and Belgrade, where the west-east direction railway transit traffic cannot advance without touching one of the two capitals. In the middle of this zone – meaning the shortest route – railway transport is not possible at the moment. Reaching towns connected by railway transport is only possible with a significant loss of time. The lack of the railway line intersecting the DKMT Euro region is a significant problem not only from the point of view of passenger transport but also from the point of view of goods transport, its social and economic impact is also negative.
The Szeged-Röszke-Horgoš-Subotica-Csikéria-Bácsalmás-Baja transversal line ensures an overland connection between the two largest ports of the Adriatic Sea and the Black Sea, as part of the trunk line between Fiume (Rijeka) and Constanta, so it creates a possibility for freight transport between the ports not to be realized on overloaded public roads but on railway.
The first step towards intense co-operation in the border region is to establish appropriate
transport infrastructure for crossing the border and for reducing the isolation of border settlements.
During implementation of the project the following outputs will be provided - planned outputs:
- 1 joint, detailed feasibility study concerning the Szeged-Röszke-Horgoš-Subotica-Csikéria-Bácsalmás-Baja cross-border railway line
- 4 workshops: organized with ca. 30 participants of each event
- 1 closing conference organized with ca. 60 participants
- joint press conference of the partnership at the time of the closing conference
- printed publication: 1 000 pcs in English
- 4 appearance in newspapers
- organization of study tour for national and European experts and decision makers
- close and effective cooperation between national railway companies and partners in order to convince decision makers of physical implementation
- with the feasibility study and the cooperation developed in the project the establishment of basis of physical construction of cross-border railway line is expected
The Feasibility Study had been elaborated and with its help the partnership can continoue the planning process and prepare the implementation of a new railway road section.