The project is aiming to contribute to reducing the negative impact of production, trading and consumption on natural resources that are significantly threatened by current traditional ways of development approaches, as the main need of target groups and final beneficiaries, and it is focusing on optimizing the economic development and environmental protection in the Black Sea Basin.
The project outcome resides directly in providing a communication, cooperation and interaction platform between companies/industries from 4 target sectors, stakeholders, research organisations and decision-makers in the four involved countries, providing online innovative tools for the optimization of trade links and decreasing carbon footprint, as well as elaborating the Industrial Symbiosis Strategy in the Black Sea region, with new approaches towards the sustainable development of the area.
The project has made significant contribution to the primal understanding on industrial symbiosis concept in the partner involved countries: Bulgaria, Turkey, Romania and Moldova. Local and regional impact has been seen in the increased number of 272 companies from 4 target sectors in 4 partner countries, which were interested in joining the Black Sea Industrial Symbiosis Platform and became members. In addition, many local and regional authorities also signed the Protocol and the commitment of 7 chambers to participate in BSISP clearly shows the direct positive impact and outputs for the beneficiaries. 137 decision-makers were involved by the end of the project, knew about the Strategy and some of them were trained to promote project results and achievements and future participation to the BSISP. The most important output was the recognition by producers and consumers of the necessity to act in an environmentally-friendly manner in all spheres of life.
- A Regional Industrial Symbiosis Platform (web-based open service) has been established (databse and methodology); two Protocols have been signed: one on Project Management Commitment by partners and second Protocol on BSISP, signed by 7 chambers in Bulgaria, Turkey, Romania and Moldova and by 272 surveyed companies from 4 sectors in all partner countries; Out of companies and chambers other organisations/decision-makers were also interested in BSISP membership and signed the BSISP Protocol.
- Field Data collection/gathering field work carried out/ 372 companies at project level. The database and its portal were designed and have been available online since September 2012: (www.bsisp.org). The data collected was entered to the database; Industrial sectors investigated were Logistics, Energy, Tourism and Manufacturing. GIS, trade optimisation, and carbon calculator tools were designed and developed. The tools have been online and publicly
available since May 2013 on the portal of the BSISP, www.bsisp.org
The case studies that were used in within the Strategy Report were discussed and the
sectors for developing scenarios were determined. The case scenarios
were analysed and their results were integrated in the Strategy Report.
- Two Stakeholder Participation Meetings were successfully conducted in each partner
country with participation of 160 stakeholders in total and their feedbacks on Industrial
Symbiosis, current system analysis and developed tools were collected and documented.
Industrial Symbiosis Strategy Report was developed and published 2,000 copies in total, in national languages and in English.
- An Indsutrial Symbiosis Strategy developed by partners;
- Training (plus ToT) activities carried out - 93 stakeholders, 67 decision makers involved;
-- Kick-off Meeting and Opening Ceremony organised in Varna, Bulgaria as back to back
events on 19th_21 st of September 2011;
- Two Evaluation and Follow-up Meetings were organised for 5 days in Istanbul, Turkey (16-
20 January 2012) and for 3 days in Chisinau, Moldova (23-25 January 2013) with
participation of 8 representatives from 5 partner organisations
- Webpage of the project designed/updated- www.projectsymnet.eu visited 7,000x during project's lifetime;
- 12 Newsletters published in 12,000 pcs;
- Project information booklet prepared and printed 8000 copies (2000 each partner x 4 countries) and disseminated electronically and directly to the stakeholders (GA 4, Activity 3). Two versions of Project
- Leaflet in English were published online and printed 12,000 copies or 3,000 copies each
partner; First and Second Project Leaflets were translated in Bulgarian,
Turkish and Romanian, published online and spread via e-mails; two versions of Project
Poster in English were published online and printed 4,000 copies or 1,000 copies each
partner; First and Second Project Posters were translated in Bulgarian,
Turkish and Romanian, published online and disseminated via e-mails. All visual
promotional materials are uploaded in PDF format on the project web site
- Project Opening Ceremony for start and launching the Action was organised in Varna on
21.09.2011 with participation of 70 people;
-Stakeholders meetings organized;
- Strategy report publication realized;
- A project Opening Ceremony, Progress Conference and Closing conferences organized
(Progress Conference held in Constanta, Romania on 25 - 27 July 2012,
two days Progress Meeting and 1 day Progress Conference with participation of 96
stakeholders); Project Closing Conference and Launch of BSISP organised on 25 - 26 June 2013 along with a 3-day Closing Meeting of project partners on 24, 27 and 28 June 2013 in
Istanbul, around 100 participants attended the event.