The main objective of the project is to increase the level of protection against floods in the c/b area of Greece and Bulgaria and especially in areas with high probability of flood events across the two international river basins of Struma/Strymon and Evros/Maritsa. In order to achieve this main objective, PBs have concluded on a number of sub-objectives which then were transformed into concrete actions. The sub-objectives of the project are:
• improvement/support/maintenance of existing permanent flood protection infrastructure in order to either increase their ability to constrain flood water or facilitate better water flow and therefore reduce the risk of flood.
• supply of necessary equipment that will enable PBs to react promptly against imminent floods and constrain the negative effects of water in flood areas.
• Enhance the cooperation between competent authorities in the two countries and their capacity to address climate change consequences, and especially soil erosion.
• enable the resumption of economic activities and agricultural production in the identified priority regions.
• Ensure the sustainability of the proposed interventions and the cooperation of the PBs after the official end of the project.
• Raise awareness among the population in the cross border area regarding climate change, floods, their potential impact and hazards.
• Raise awareness among local authorities about specific social impacts of disasters on vulnerable categories and strengthen participatory preparedness and resilience capacities that respond to community expectations.
The project is directly related to the aims and priorities of the Programme and particularly to PA2, SO3 since it will strengthen the capacity of local actors to prevent / limit damage caused by floods, increase the resilience to c/b floods and contribute to the fulfillment of Directive 2007/60/EC requirements.
Expected Results (EN):
The project will have significant results in terms of protecting the cross border area against the disastrous effects of floods, a natural phenomenon whose frequency and intensity is expected to increase due to the climate change. The main expected results from the project’s implementation are:
1. Improvement of protective infrastructure along the river flow in the areas with significant risk of flooding.
2. Decrease of obstructions in the narrow sections of the river basin, improving water flow.
3. Improvement of water flow in riverbeds, reducing the risk of frequent flooding in the nearby riverbed facilities, land and property.
4. Reduced land area prone to floods and increased flood protection for project areas.
5. Reduction of negative economic and social implications caused by floods.
6. Increase of the awareness and readiness of the population in the cross border area for reacting in case of flooding.
7. Enhancement of the capacity of competent authorities and local population for better preparedness in risk response actions.
8. Enhancement of PBs ability react promptly during unexpected floods in different areas with the use of special equipment (mobile flood barrier).
9. Establishment of cooperation in the field of active water management and flood risk prevention and prevention of natural and man-made catastrophes.
10. Increase of safety feeling for the residents in areas near the river basins.
11. Promotion of cooperation between competent authorities on flood planning and management.
Furthermore, the project contributes to the result indicators of the Programme, as it covers two international rivers between Greece and Bulgaria (Struma/Strymon, Ardas-Arda and Evros-Maritsa) and promotes the joint coordination and management of flood risks.